Universitas Muhammadiyah Prof. DR. HAMKA – University of Muhammadiyah Prof. DR. HAMKA (abbreviated as UHAMKA) is one of private universities owned by “Persyarikatan Muhammadiyah” (Muhammadiyah Organization) in Jakarta. UHAMKA named as Perguruan Tinggi Pendidikan Guru (PTPG). Officially run since November 18, 1957. Since 1958 changed to Fakultas Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan (Faculty of Education and Teacher Training) as part of Universitas Muhammadiyah Jakarta.
Since 1965 it changed to Institut Keguruan dan Ilmu Pendidikan Muhammadiyah Jakarta (Institute of Education and Teacher Training of Muhammadiyah Jakarta). Converted as comprehensive university “Universitas Muhammadiyah Prof. DR. HAMKA” since May 30, 1997 to extend the service for various students.
HAMKA (Prof. DR. Haji Abdul Malik Karim Amrullah) is a famous ulama, national hero, journalist, novelist, poet, and preacher of Muhammadiyah with autodidact capabilities.
- H. Moebangid Ronohandjojo, Dean of FKIP UMJ (1957 – 1959)
- Sa’adoeddin Djambek, Dean of FKIP UMJ (1959 – 1962)
- Mr. Soeroto Kartosoedarmo, Dean of FKIP (1962 – 1963)
- Drs. A.S. Broto, Dean of FKIP UMJ (1963 – 1965)
- Drs. A.S. Broto, Rector of IKIP MJ (1965 – 1969)
- Sa’adoeddin Djambek, Rector of IKIP MJ (1969 – 1974)
- Drs. Agustiar, M.A., Rector of IKIP MJ (1977 – 1979)
- Drs. Aya Sofia, M.Ed., Rector of IKIP MJ (1979 – 1983)
- Dr. H. Agustiar, M.A., Rector of IKIP MJ (1983 – 1991)
- Dr. Mochtar Buchori, M.Ed., M.A., Rector of IKIP MJ (1991 – 1995)
- Drs. H. Qomari Anwar, M.A., Rector IKIP MJ (1995 – 1997)
- Dr. H. Qomari Anwar, M.A., Rektor UHAMKA (1997 – 2005)
- Prof. Dr. H. Suyatno, M.Pd. (2005 – 2018)